Why Democrats Should Support Free College Tuition

obamaThe Factual Overview
There is a proposal by President Obama that will offer two years of community college tuition at no cost to the student. The actual price of a community college would be lowered to a zero amount due. This plan does include the following:

  • Tuition-free classes for students going to school at least half time
  • Required GPA of two point five average grade average or higher
  • Required to make level and steady progress toward a degree or a transfer to a four year facility
  • A student is guaranteed to receive two free years of courses at a community college if they maintain the above requirements.

Opportunity

This free college tuition proposal presents a good opportunity for approximately 40 percent of students that choose community college. This is a broad and wide range of individuals that would receive the opportunity to obtain an education and then obtain good employment. This includes the following groups:

  • Young high school graduates
  • Older and misplaced workers
  • Single parents
  • Veterans

When the student graduates they will receive many exceptional opportunities. They will be fully prepared for the new economy. This could be accomplished without the burden of a large debt.

Federal Government to Assist With the Cost

The federal government will cover 75 percent of the amount of fees for a community college. The plan would then have the states pick up the remaining 25 percent of the cost.

There are reforms by the White House that will include the following:

  1. Provide student support services and include more advising
  2. Ensure better aligning the college and high school curriculums

Boost Economic Growth

Making two years of community college as general and universal as high school would most likely boost economic growth. This would even assist in closing this country’s continual growth in the wealth gap.

Growing Support

There is a growing support for this proposal. This is due to the many exceptional benefits and outcomes that it provides. This proposal will eliminate the cost barrier that interferes with obtaining a higher education.

The fact is, the federal government already pays for public education from grades 1-12. Why shouldn’t they also pay or at least help subsidize the high costs of college for American students facing a higher cost of living and lower wages. With the emergence of so many schools offering online GED programs and high school diploma programs, it is important that we continue providing accurate information for prospective students.